Vintage Military Canteen Cups
LIMITED ITEM. SURPLUS - VINTAGE. Once they are gone we may not get any more. ALL SALES FINAL AS-IS
USGI Stainless steel Canteen Cup Genuine Military Issue.The metal canteen cup was part of the original M1910 canteen set consisting of the canteen itself, cup, and cloth cover. While the handle design of the cup has changed, little else is different in 2010, after a century of service.
Lunch break with mess kit and M1910 canteen cup in hand, Massacre Bay, Attu, Aleutian Islands, 20 May 1943. M1910 aluminum canteen sits to the right.
M1910 Canteen Cup
First pattern M-1910 aluminum canteen cup. This cup is unmarked but known to be manufactured by A.G.M. Co.
The M1910 Canteen Cup was part of the set of components that made up the M1910 aluminum one quart canteen ensemble. The canteen cup has the same cross-section shape as the canteen body, but is a little larger so the canteen can nest into the cup. The canteen cup capacity is about three cups (24 oz.) if completely full. The cup also featured a foldable handle, held in place by four rivets on the side, secured by a sliding latch. The handle had two slots cut in it which could be engaged by an M-1926 Fork if the cup handle itself was too hot. The 1910 model cup could be conveniently stowed in the canteen carrier and the canteen would fit inside the cup.
The M-1910 aluminum cup had a rolled edge on top, a problem since it got too hot. The original cups were manufactured by The Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Company (A.G.M. Co.) in 1909 and 1910 and subsequently, from 1911 to 1917, by Rock Island Arsenal. All of these cups are unmarked.
During World War I, the Quartermaster Corps assumed responsibility for the soldiers' individual equipment including canteen cups. M1910 canteen cups were manufactured under contract using the specifications developed in 1910. In 1918 the Quartermaster Corps contracted for cups to be manufactured by:
- The Aluminum Company of America (ACA)
- Aluminum Goods Manufacturing Co. (AGM Co)
- Buckeye Aluminum Co. (BA Co.)
- The J. W. Brown Manufacturing Co. (T.J.W.B.M.CO.)
- Landers, Frary & Clark (L F & C)
The 1918 contracts specified that the letters U.S., the name or symbol of the company and the year of manufacture be stamped either on the bottom of the cup or on the top of the handle.
Beginning in 1942, canteen cups were manufactured from alternate materials to substitute for aluminum. Porcelain plated cups (Cup, Canteen M-1942) were made in limited quantities in 1942 only, to match the porcelain enamel canteen made at the same time. Steel cups, plated with tin or zinc, were manufactured in small quantities by Foley Mfg. Co. and Edward Katzinger Co. in 1943 to match the tin or zinc plated canteens made that same year
Features of the Canteen Cups:
- Condition: All of these styles are in Excellent to Very Good shape (they all show age and wear of some kind or another - usually scapes, small dents or writing on the cups)
- Late 1940's Early 1950's and a few 1960"s
- Includes Holder
- Heavy Gauge
- Fits 1 Quart Canteen
- Apx. 5.5 x 4 x 3.5 inches
LIMITED ITEM: Usually available for pickup in our store in Las Vegas, or would ship ASAP. The purchaser is responsible for conforming to all applicable Country, State and Local laws. All items with a combined total of $100.00 or any collectable items (one of a kind) will be shipped with SIGNATURE REQUIRED.